Management Information System
I. The Child Support Agency – Management Information System :
Introduction The Child Support Agency
- The Child Support Agency is a national charity based in the UK that cares for young people (aged 12-24) who require additional support to help them live their lives effectively. There are 4 key areas where The Child Support Agency work, housing, family support, education & training, and tackling crime. For example for Management Information System
The Child Support Agency manages a project to provide safe and affordable housing for homeless young people. They run a project in North London to help tackle knife crime and, from the same office, manage an IT training course for young people who have previously committed a crime.
- The Child Support Agency run 60 different projects, 10 housing projects, 15 tackling crime projects, 20 education and training projects and 15 family support projects.
- To help manage these projects effectively, The Child Support Agency is split into 3 geographical regions, Northern, South West, and South East. Each region is managed by a Regional Director who is supported by an administrative team. As well as managing existing projects, the regional director is also responsible for developing new projects, sorting out the contracts with funding bodies, identifying project deliverables, and so on. This is done in partnership with the appropriate Area Manager and the Contract and Funding Raising Department at the head office. The regional office staffs are based in one of the Area Offices in their region.
- For easier in managing projects, they need a new system could help them in managing projects, human resources, and more can help them share resources and safety security in The Child Support Agency Management Information System. Ensuring consistency of the regional.
- Part A
- Rich picture Child support agencies :Management Information System
Figure: Rich Picture Child Support Agencies Management Information System
- ASD: Child Support Agencies Administrative Services Director.
- FD: Child Support Agencies Finance Director.
- IQO, ASD: Child Support Agencies Information Quality Officer, Child Support Agencies Administrative Services Department
- NRD: Child Support Agencies Northern Regional Director.
- AM, BAO: Child Support Agencies Area Manager, Bridlington Area Office.
- TL, BTCP: Child Support Agencies Team Leader, Child Support Agencies Bridlington Tackling Crime Project
- Rich picture – describe and justify Management Information System
- Based on the case study I could identify the key actor of the system, because it is listed under the separate parts and they interact with the system, each part has posed difficulties they have encountered in the old system and expect the problem will be solved in the new system and make their job easier. Even though there is agreement among these key actors there is still some conflict with some people in The Child Support Agency organization. For more detail:
- Jim Massey: He thinks the management of The Child Support Agency is a mess and he wants to use the introduction of The Management Information System to change the way things are done throughout the organization, manage all the staff in the organization, keep track of all data that people are working and make sure staff are supported and trained, the system must be easy to use.
- Steve Sutherland: He needs the new system always provide accurate financial data of local projects for Area member and Regional Director and can share data between the two systems without compromising our finance system. Make sure security data in the new system.
- Sally Smith: He thinks the current system is the year out of the day and the data that we hold is full of errors. It is hard to manage personal information in one system and he already had problems with Area Managers holding their own staff records. Conflict Area Member. He wants one system to manage all personal information data, let alone having the same data in two places. Area Managers to come first to set up staff records before entering anywhere.
- Julieanne Black: Need a system to hold information about young persons and allow projects to enter the core data into the system. The system has to support the Contract & Fund Raising Team and measure performance through KPI.
- Sean McNally: Need a system help to manage staff in the region and he has a conflict with the head office; person who keep the key positions in The Children Support Agency, he doesn’t want a system to make the staff feel that somebody’s spying on what they do, people to trust the staff and makes job easier such as IT and databases.
- Peter Jackson: He told that he need easier to collect data and information and manage a project and can send the correct information directly to our funding bodies. Also, can share the information amongst the team in Bridlington.
- Sue Williams: Hope to be training to use this new database and need a system will magically do all of the admin, she has a conflict with Julieanne about KPI report.
- Based on the above information, we have the opinions of key actors on the difficulties and the conflict between them and their expectation in the new system and this is the main issue in the rich picture.
- The system is used and managed by the Senior Executive Group (SEG).
III. Part B
- Use case diagram Child Support Agencies
Figure: Use case Child Support Agencies
|Contract team||Primary||A group of CSA employees has responsible for developing new projects and making the contract.|
|Regional office||Secondary||The office manages regional|
|Area office||Secondary||The office manage area|
|The Senior Executive Group (SEG)||Secondary||The Senior Executive Group (SEG) is made up of the Chief Executive, the Finance Director, Head of HR, Marketing Director,
Administrative Services Director and the three Regional
Directors. This is the key decision-making body for CSA
|Funding bodies||Secondary||A tender from a government agency or a trust fund.|
|Make contract||Funding bodies and CSA sign the contract after winning a bid.|
|Make bid||Make a bid and the detail of bid|
|Search contract||The contract team and Funding bodies can search the old contract before making a new contract.|
|View process of bid||When the bid in a process, the contract team and the Senior Executive Group and the Funding bodies can view the status of a bid.|
|Make description||Make a description for the bid when it in the process.|
|Prepare bid||Preparing for binding.|
- Prepare bid use case Child Support Agencies :
|Actor||The Contract team, Regional officer, Area officer|
|Pre – condition||Already receiving a lead from Funding body|
|Post – condition||The bid is written and sent to SEG.|
|1. The contract team received the lead from Funding body
2. The contract team and officer will identify the lead f it meets the criteria for CSA.
3. The contract team and officer will have an audit of resources to make sure that CSA is able to meet the requirements.
4. The contract team will make a go decision for that lead.
5. The information from this lead put into file and feedback to funding body that CSA cannot join the bid.
6. The contract team will identify similar contracts that have been successful in the past to help write the bid.
7. The contract team writes a bid and sends to SEG.
- Make bid use case Child Support Agencies :
|Actor||The contract team, SEG|
|Pre- condition||After the bid sends to SEG|
|Post-condition||The bid has sent to the appropriate Funding body.|
|Basic flow||1. The contract team gets information about the bid from SEG.
2. The bid will be sent to the Senior Executive Group.
3. The contract team will send it to the appropriate funding body.
4. The contract team put all information into a file.
5. The contract team will inform to the funding body that CSA cannot join the bid.
- View process of bid Child Support Agencies:
|Actor||The contract team, SEG, Funding body|
|Pre – condition||The bids already send to the Funding body.|
|Post – condition||The bid has been approved by the Funding body.|
|Basic flow||1. The Funding body receives the bid from contract team.
2. The contract team will get feedback about subject changes from Funding body.
3. The contract and Funding body make a contract.
- Make contract Child Support Agencies :
|Actor||Contract team, Funding body|
|Pre – condition||The bid has been approved by the Funding body.|
|Post condition||Have a new contract.|
|Basic flow||1. The contract team will prepare a contract.
2. The contract team sends a signed contract to the Funding body.
- Search contract child support agencies:
|Actor||The contract team, Funding body|
|Pre – condition||Have a contract|
|Post condition||View all contracts in the system|
|Basic flow||1. The actor will type the key work in the system.
2. Show lists all contracts.
- Make description:
|Actor||The contract team, Funding body, SEG|
|Pre – condition||Have a bid|
|Post condition||Display the status of bid|
|Basic flow||1. List of the bid all ready to show.
2. The actor chose one bid for view more details.
3. Show the bid that the actor chose.
4. The actor writes the description for the bid.
- Part C
Comparison and discussion of rich pictures and use case modeling
|Rich picture Child Support Agencies||Use case Child Support Agencies|
– Give a general view of the system.
– Can identify the problem of the key actor.
– Easy to see the system structure
– Can identify the requirements of the key actor.
– Can display the relationship and the conflict between key actors.
– Help the person who analysis the system, easily catch exactly the problem and the requirements of the system.
– Cannot display the process of the system clearly.
– Cannot assume the flow of the event of the process in the system.
– Can show the process of the system.
– Help the developer easily capture the processes in the system.
– Identify step by step activities inside the process.
– Some conditions need and result after the process happen.
– Cannot identify the problem of the key actor.
– Cannot display the required of the key actor.
– Hard to see the relationship between key actors.
Thank you for your interest totalqualitymanagement.co
Management Information Systems, Mobile Device Management, JAVA PLATFORM SE BINARY, ArgoUML, Microsoft Project, Use Case Diagram, unified modeling language